Monday, October 14, 2013

2013 SC STATE FAIR

Took the boys tonight to the SC State Fair. I bought them the ride-at-one-price bracelet and let them at it. I told them to stick together and enjoy themselves, and I went off to do my thing. First I visited the art exhibits, my favorite place, and overall found the work enjoyable. There were a few times I thought better pictures (in my opinion)should have been given ribbons. The photography section was particularly good. Not as much watercolor this year. Not so impressed with the three-dimensional arts displayed. Student art was awesome. Then I went to listen to some music. The first band I saw was STAGBRIAR, and they were ok, although extremely loud (a definite problem in that stage). I thought the performers seemed mostly distand, not looking at the crowd, while one guitar player on the left side appeared to be in his own world, making the crazy jerking motions as if he were a thirteen-year old in his bedroom with his first instrument. Weird. Later I ate dinner (turkey leg) while listening to and watching FOREIGNER, and I especially liked the songs from back in my day. Then I tpped the night off with SAY BROTHER?, a rockabilly group (also, way too loud). They were interesting, but I was confused by one of the lead singers, who didn't have a mike, but just belted away on a tamborine and danced about like one of the drunk homeless guys at a free concert at Finlay Park). The band had a following, it seems, and some people were even dancing. This is where the boys found me at the end of the night. "We knew you'd be here."

In between the musical choices, I wandered about the crafts show, promotional exhibition, and a few of the outdoor shows. Only ride I had was the $5 for 15 minutes in some excellent massage chair. Worth every penny. Watched some gymastic group, the flying dogs (nothing much there), and then attended the beatbox/juggling/comedian Bronkar Lee's show, and found him quite entertaining. It was like watching your buddy go throuhg his routines in the basement of his house, but it was still fun. He had a good rapport with his audience and most people seemed to enjoy themselves. I avoided Ron Diamond's hypnotism show. The boys were tired at about 930, so we went and had sodas and returned home. They seemed to have fun on the midway. I wish the fair could change things up a little, and figure out ways to have more entertaining, but less stressful rides. Not sure how it could be done. And there really is a need for more adult, educational (like history, museum-like) stuff.

Here is a shot we took as we were heading out:

No comments:

Post a Comment