Friday, December 12, 2014

LYNN

The boys and I said goodbye yesterday to a special friend. Lynn Turbeville was a wife, mother, and dancer, but we knew her best as a stalwart and tireless supporter of Scouting, especially as Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 324, although her participation was much broader and deeper than that. She was warm and engaging, and it was nigh impossible to turn her down for anything she requested. We served on several committees together, having dragooned me especially into serving on the cub scouts committee. She was the closest I have ever come to meeting someone who was a kindred spirit in almost every way to my dear mother; they most assuredly would have been fast friends and comrades in Scouting, as my Mom loved hiking and camping, and had served volunteer duty at many camps. I can imagine my Mom waiting this weekend for Lynn to arrive in Heaven and quickly beckoning her to join her troop. Lynn could be tough and focused, but you always felt welcome and appreciated in her presence. During camping trips and at meetings we would often chat about books; when she struggled against her coma, I came and read to her and was glad to share that little time. It is hard to imagine this world without her and she will truly be missed by everyone who knew her.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss of your friend. It is so hard to lose someone close to you, but especially sad that a beautiful soul has left this world. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds lovely. Sorry she's no longer here.- Sarah

    ReplyDelete