Friday, October 20, 2017

MIKEY POEM

Around 1994 or so, when I was living with Chris Kelm, we (I guess technically she) adopted a beautiful, friendly brindle racing greyhound who ran under the name Michigan Mike, somewhat successfully, and we got him through a rescue as Mikey. I had not written a poem since high school, and one day I was serving as a proctor for a state medical examination, when suddenly I came across a line in my head, and I wrote it down. During the test, which lasted for hours, I wrote the poem down on the back of a restroom pass, with a little drawing. It was later published in a small newsletter, likely none still existing, and I thought my copy gone forever. I am moving this week, and when I cleaned off a shelf, I found the original poem. Here it is:

MIKEY

Light foot flash on
oval track,
Halvah shaded straining
back,
Playful buck, so full of
spunk,
Gentleman, yet ready
to funk,
Bouncing, prancing,
bowing boy,
Love ta shake dat
rabbit toy.
Who would think that
anyone,
After all that money
and fun,
Would put this beauty
down to rest?
Glad we got him,
he's the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment