Friday, December 7, 2018

JACKSON POLLOCK

I don't really love Jackson Pollock, but I still have been intrigued with his work. People always tell me I have to go see his drip paintings in person to appreciate them. Nevertheless, when I heard they were showing his famous "Mural" at the Columbia Museum of Art, and it was free, I had to jump at the opportunity. His effort to create this piece was featured in the biopic POLLOCK, starring Ed Harris (who was wonderful). At first I was hesitant when I looked at it, but then I started to feel it, felt the strokes and could (probably incorrectly) discern figures. Some people say it is people marching, and Pollock himself said there were animals, but for me it seemed as if it was a crown of people almost dancing en mass, somewhat fitting for a painting done in New York City. It hung first in Peggy Guggenheim's home (she commissioned it) and it was later given to the University of Iowa, which now (because of a serious flood) must send it traveling around the world until they can complete a new museum to house it permanently. After viewing the piece I attended an informative lecture by curator Catherine Walworth, which helped me even more appreciate "Mural." They have done some wonderful work expanding and re-configuring the CMA and we are lucky to have such a good collection. Pollock himself has had a long association with the museum and art community here, and gave the museum many pieces that we would likely never have been able to see, so we are are very fortunate. The selfie did very poor justice to the work, probably to shame me for even considering my face near it. Take some time and go visit the museum (and support it as well) if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment