Tuesday, September 2, 2014

OLD TIDD SCOUTING

Scouting has always been a part of my family, boys and girls. My grandfather, father, brother and I are all Eagles, and my mother and sisters are First Classes (the equivalent in Girl Scouts). My Mom was an excellent camper and volunteer for years at GSA and BSA summer camps. My Dad was even a professional scouter and Appalachian Trail hiker. Here are some pictures from when my Dad was in scouting, Troop 24 in Trenton, New Jersey. Grandad, Frank L. Tidd, was Scoutmaster. Most of these pictures were taken by the local newspsper I think, and a couple I have seen in print, actually.

The following shot is of my Dad in 1950, a newly minted Eagle Scout, helping out on a lashing project. He was a stickler for correct lashing, I can tell you!


I don't know if Uncle John was a member of the troop, though I am sure he probably was, but second from the right of this picture is the only shot I have of Dad and John's younger adopted brother as a young man, probably around twelve years, Alex Rybalkin.



Dad and Granddad earned the Eagles at the same time, back when an adult was allowed to do so. Here we have the guys pinning the replica pins on their respective mothers, on the left Florence Tidd, and next to Dad, Lillian Tidd.


Here is a group photo of Troop 24, with Grandad on the right. Dad is in the rear kneeling row, fourth from the left. [Although I am not sure, I think Johnny might be the five boys down from Dad to the left in the same row.]


Granddad on stage presenting something or another.


Some of these shots appeared in the Trenton Sunday Times-Advertiser.

No comments:

Post a Comment