Wednesday, February 25, 2009

FANTASY HUMOR

I have been on a bit of a fantasy/humor kick lately in my reading choices. In addition to reading Moore's Coyote Blue (reviewed earlier), I picked up one of his earlier novels, Practical Demonkeeping. Although it had some rough edges, I enjoyed it nonetheless. I also have been reading some of Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels.

Practical Demonkeeping is a tale of a young seminary student who accidentally brings forth a man-eating, wise-cracking, demon named Catch. Protected from death by virtue of having this scaly, huge monster (when he is in his eating form) as his sidekick, Travis is forced to live a long life of steering the demon to human victims whose disappearance at least rids communities of drug pushers and pimps (although the occasional bum is also taken), as he tries to figure a way to send his guest back to the netherworld. A sort of convergence occurs as a number of interesting and engaging characters gather for a showdown in a small California coastal town of Pine Cove. The books is a delightful romp. Although not nearly as polished as Lamb, this book is a worthy view into Moore's early writing. I guess I have to consider myself a fan, since I plan to read more of his novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment