Sunday, June 21, 2009

CONCERTS

Last night I attended a free concert on the river featuring the old-timey country band Sugarmountain Boys (bluegrass?), who were pretty good, followed by the new cd-celebration-party stylings of the very enjoyable Black Bottom Biscuits. I don't usually go for too much rockabilly, but it was a different sort of treat. They played an upbeat and entertaining mix of songs. My friend Fred, who grew up with three members of BBB, called my attention to their concert and I decided to give it a whirl. Glad I did. I was especially taken by several songs in their second set, which included many crowd pleasers (and they do seem to have a following locally) such as the delightful "Fish Beer," humorous look at the urbanization of the countryside in "Don't Pave My Road," and funny looks at lost love in "Double-Wide Love Left Behind," and "Even the Roaches Miss You." Can't remember for sure, but there was one song I really liked, I think called "Can't Stop the Lightning." What I enjoyed the most was their sense of humor, especially in the confesssional story-like songs. No doubt they sit around drinking beer and reminiscing when one of them tells a funny story and another writes down a few lines, and the next thing ya know. . .a song! Lead singer Arnie seems to be a bit of a goof, in a funny way, but that also lends to the charm of the band. They all play pretty well and I certainly enjoyed it. The only downside to the evening was the extreme heat and the fact that my boys missed it. We are broiling down here. I wanted to jump into the Congaree several times.

Not to overlook another concert I attended a week earlier, I caught the smooth jazz of guitarist Terence Young, who was absolutely excellent, at a concert in Findlay Park. He is better known in these parts as a gospel musician, but I was very impressed. There were some other local acts in the mix, a couple quite good, but he headlined and I am glad I didn't miss it. I definitely will try to catch him in action again. Next to The Soul Mites, he may be my second favorite local artist now.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful concert Jim. I like the way you word things. Nicely done. You seem to really enjoy your life, your boys, your friends & family, as well as coworkers, former and present!

    ReplyDelete