Wednesday, January 7, 2009

BLOGS

I am frustrated by blogs. More accurately, some of the bloggers. Not the reading of blogs, but the interaction that they often seem to offer then often deny.

I often slip quietly (right, as if there were any sound) into blogs to find out what an individual's interests are or what makes the author tick. Sometimes I just try blogs randomly, usually clicking back out of the ones that are too oriented toward family (more like a myspace) or are too juvenile. When I find one I think will be intereseting I actually get excited. Frequently I am enchanted by what I read or am introduced to new ideas or situations. I tend to like to read blogs by people who are very smart, or offer a vastly different viewpoint, or new insights to different places or experiences. For instance, one blogger suffers from a certain illness, and her insights are interesting. I prefer most of all those blogs that have some aspect about them revolving around books, history, and the humanities. Quite often I utilize the webpage links provided in the profiles on Goodreads, and many of them have been very engaging.

And, of course, I have my own blog (no duh, you think). But mine must not be being read often, or visited frequently (I do not know how one keeps track of visitations), because there are hardly ever any comments (other than those left by my friend Jen) on my blog. I worry that I my writing is too boring (or that the writing is poor). Some bloggers seem like naturals, and others have special areas of interest and expertise that makes it easy for them, I guess. Some writers, though, seem to overdo it, trying to artificially spice up their blogs or attempting too hard to be "eloquent" or shocking. Other blogs are on topics that chase me away: crafts, for instance. I do like the ones where the insights are raw and direct and from the heart---personal yet probing. But each blog is different.

I don't really have a lot that I check regularly, though there are a few. When I leave comments more often than not they are not responded to (although they usually are posted, so I guess that is a bit of a victory). I guess in a way it is like meeting people at a crowded bar, asking a few questions, making introductions, only to get a dismissive reply or a blank stare, or even worse the "avoidance." I hated going out to bars. If I asked a person to dance, and was rebuffed, that was it for me usually. Wouldn't ask anyone else that night. I had to work my courage up, and was more easier deflated that a helium balloon landing on a campfire. I don't take rejection that well. So I didn't try often. I am better now, though deep down I am not much changed from that nerdy, awkward guy. Socially inept (though friendly). One of the advantages of internet, in a way, is the anonymity it provides.

2 comments:

  1. Want to know how to drive traffic to your blog, Jim? Linkrefferal.com. Check it out and you'll see what it's about. Also, mention your blog on your myspace profile if you haven't already, and any other social networking site that you are a member of. I LIKE READING YOUR BLOGS and so will others! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am enjoying your writings... even your musings are a great read spiritedone .. * smiles* your words have a flow to them , and I can almost "read" your expression, feel the calmness of a quiet day on a slowly rocking fishing vessel, the warmth of the sun and inner peace you enjoyed that day, the rapport you have with your friends and family.. it shows in your writing style and draws one in ,, kudos .. ps .. still haven't found the poem *g* pies are done , Happy Thanksgiving ! baci amico buona sera

    ReplyDelete