Saturday, January 3, 2009

FLORIDA VACATION MUSINGS

The trip back to Columbia from Tampa allowed for quiet reflection on the wonderful week of sunny enjoyment the boys and I had down on the Gulf. I didn't get to write too many blogs while I was down there, so this one will fill in the blanks. First I have to thank my sister for her generous gift of room, board, and transportation down to her home. The bus trip was long, but not too bad. It was a bit disconcerting on the trip back when a side door just in front of me swung open when we stopped at a light coming into Savannah. The poor guy next to the door wasn't sitting there when we resumed. Thanks too to my niece Falon, and to Beth's boyfriend Wayne for all they did to make the trip fun. With the exception of the Gamecock debacle against Iowa and the aborted trip to Busch Gardens (which was not a big deal since the boys went several times a little over a year ago), the trip was almost perfect. The following will be out of chronological order, but who cares.

The best part of the trip was sitting on the gulf in a small fishing boat with a pod of porpoises swimming around us, and under the craft, surfacing, and playing, even showing their bellies. I really enjoyed it. Could have stayed there for a long time watching those beautiful creatures. I tried to take a few pictures, but I am not sure they are going to come out. We had reached a sandbar a couple of miles off New Port Richey and the dolphins were swimming about. It appeared that there were a few young ones in the mix too. After staying there a while we were off. Crashing through the waves was better than a flume ride. We had planned to do some fishing, but the bait shops were closed, so we instead landed on the nearly deserted Anclote Key, where we discovered an empty beach brimming with shells. . .and almost literally covered with sand dollars. So many, in fact, that we could be choosy about the ones we wanted to keep. We gathered some small conchs and other shells as well. We spent the entire afternoon there and started a small fire. If the weather had cooperated just a little (this long cloud refused to allow the sunlight to warm things up) we surely would have gone swimming. I enjoyed just walking up and down the beach. I found a small scorpion, which surprised me. . .I didn't know they lived on these islands. The place was covered with racoon tracks. I was told that the place also had a lot of rattlesnakes.

Another wonderful experience during the visit was taking the boys to Lowry Park Zoo. The layout is not quite as friendly as Riverbanks, but there were some excellent exhibits. The best part was getting to touch stingrays. Amazingly smooth they were. . .like velvet. They look pretty interesting close up, too. Some seemed to want to be touched. Joey was particularly entranced, though it took a little longer to get Chimo into it. We also got to see manatees, which is why I took them there in the first place. They had a nice collection of animals native to Florida: otters, black bear, whopping crane, Florida panther, skunks, etc. Joey loved the snapping turtle exhibit. (He spent a lot of time chasing lizards, and even found a few gopher turtles during the visit). I was a little disappointed that the place seemed to be set up to filch as many dollars out of the attendees as possible.

The boys and I visited Tarpon Springs one day. The historical society and museum in the restored old train depot was very nice. Hit a few antiques stores, walked down to Green Cove and watched the fishermen (this is where they throw the cross into the water), went over to the sponge docks. We ended up enjoying Cuban sandwiches from a little shop no bigger than a closet, but the food was great (Chimo wasn't happy with the cigar smoke, however). Watched people cruise by; a drunk couple in the throws of passion were amusing, until the proprietors finally separated them and someone came by and picked them up. We had scoops of ice cream, and some young lady flirted with me. . .she thought I was 31! That made me smile for the day.

Falon and I went thrift shopping one afternoon. That was fun, though I didn't find any real treasures. Did pick up a few things she needed. We ate at a place, I think called Barnhill Buffet, that was awful. Simply awful. Terrible food. One other place we ate at while we were there was also pretty bad. . .China Pearl restaurant on Dale Mabry (food was watery, cold, tasteless).

I took the boys to CDBs restaurant near the University of South Florida one evening. I recommend it to anyone who likes Italian food. Their hardhat grinder is excellent, the pizzas very good, and the antipasto salad the best that I know of. They used to have really good spinach salad too. The boys liked it, though they were not too happy with vegetables in the CDB special pizza. They haven't changed the decor much either. . .warm wood.

I got to visit with a few friends and catch up. I missed seeing Keith Robertson, but did have a nice visit with his wife (and an old friend of mine as well) Kat. We walked over to a nearby park and let the boys play while we chatted. I visited Haydee Marquez, who retired not to long ago from a career with the Tampa Fire Department. Had to resort to a short telephone chat with her daughter Yvette (though Marlene's son David came by). I caught up with Lois Koch Draper (hadn't heard from her in a while and I was worried); she is as crazy as ever. Missed out on seeing Crystal.

Visited with Falon's Pat and the girls (Gabby and Kara) at their home (which used to belong to Beth), and played some video games on their new system. Their dog made a racket, but he finally warmed up a little to me.

The boys went to Simms Park. Really nice play area.

We enjoyed chicken curry when we arrived. I love those curry dinners. We enjoyed quite a few cuban sandwiches while we were down there. Tried several different places, and the boys loved them (as I expected). Soon they will be getting cravings. . .

I drove around and showed the boys the town. Some of my old schools. Places I hung out. Drove down Dale Mabry. We tried to go to jai lai, but they have torn down the fronton. I showed them the old Tampa Bay Hotel (now University of Tampa). I thought about trying Canalside, but since it was New Year's Eve, thought better of it. Lack of funds kept us from doing a few things. But it didn't matter. We slept in late almost every day, lazed about. Relaxed. The boys played. We walked around the neighborhood (really nice area covered with oaks). I enjoyed driving Beth's little jeep.

Joey and Chimo must have said a dozen times on the trip home that they wish they could stay. It was a most excellent vacation. Thanks Beth.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful. Maybe you should consider relocating???

    ReplyDelete