Thursday, January 15, 2009

BOOK SITE

I found what I had hoped would be a promising blog or website the other day. It had some search engine that promised to provide good suggestions for future reading. Just type in your book title and it claimed it would match it with books similar enough in orientation to interest you. Well, I already use Goodreads for this function, though one does have to search a bit, which is no problem---and I do enjoy perusing people's reading lists. I also browse through several other sites that have reviews, suggested readings, and such, as well as a few specialty sites. But I thought that having another avenue for discovering books to read would not be a bad thing. I was disappointed however. I put in a book title (Papillion, as it happened), just to see what would come up. . .and I got a small list that included a romance novel, a historical novel from a widely divergent time period, Dune, and several other odd choices. I was befuddled. So I looked back into the web, and it had the caveat that people who read your book could make suggestions or recommendations. My friends, if you are going to participate in these sites. . .please try to take them seriously and make recommendations that fit. Of course, the managers of the site should do a little better job policing their site as well. Sadly, I had to delete the site from my favorites, after its tenure of less than a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment