Wednesday, April 22, 2009

FOOD!

Last night Chimo was part of the Satchel Ford Elementary second-grade production: Food: The Opera. One of the delightful things about this school is its committment to the arts. The parents really support it. This year British conductor Nicholas Smith (formerly of the SC Philharmonic) served as guest artist-in-residence in helping put on this show. Chimo danced as a chicken, read poetry, played xylophone, and sang with the chorus. I loved him in his yellow-fringed shirt; his dancing style was definitely unique though, something akin to "dancing like an Egyptian," but he really seemed to be getting into it. I couldn't see him sing much, as I had a bad angle on the chorus (though I hope I can catch some in the dvd they are sending out), but he grinned widely while hammering out his tune, and then he hammed it up in his part of the on-stage poetry reading. Critic Joey was less impressed" "It is a bit kindergartenish, if you ask me. I liked the Wizard of Oz production better." Well, of course, cause he got to dance as the Scarecrow. He then went back to reading Diary of a Whimpy Kid. Despite this less-than-glowing critique, I thought the class did a wonderful, entertaining job. And I like that they were very conscious of famine and world hunger, and even sponsored a can drive for Harvest Hope Food Bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment