Friday, May 25, 2012

LARRY CROWNE

Usually I don't review movies with big stars or big budgets, except perhaps to mention them in passing as to whether I enjoyed them or not. But tonight I desired a light romantic comedy, and I really like Tom Hanks' style, as well as Julia Roberts, so I picked Larry Crowne (2011), and I actually thought it was a good movie. Low key, sweet, predictable, easy-going, with a little of the Hanks' silliness that makes him so endearing. He seems to be one of those people that would be really great to sit around in a backyard and share a drink and some laughs. The movie makes some jabs at the results of economic downturn, the behavior of cold-hearted corporations, and the housing mortgage crisis, as well as the perils of middle-aged unemployment. And there is romance, though never outlandish. Rita probably would have smacked her husband. I know, I'm such a girl sometimes to watch and enjoy these movies, but maybe down deep there is a romantic lurking.

Also caught Quantum of Solace (2008), which is one long stunt, but it was a fun diversion. The opening song, however, was the worst one of the series, I think. And I watched the remake of Footloose, which I thought was fairly well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment