Wednesday, July 4, 2012

JENNY LAWSON

Recently I have been introduced to the ramblings of an extremely funny, often insightful, definitely weird, frequently foul-mouthed, naughtily inclined, and sometimes confusing writer Jenny Lawson, whose delightful Let's Pretend This Never Happened has been getting a lot of notice and readership. I know I have been promoting it amongst my friends and colleagues. There were parts that had me rolling on the floor, and I would recount some of them here, but I don't want to give too many spoilers. Still, you must know that there are foxen, evil kitties, menacing vermin, stuffed animals, a grinning boar head, a doomed puppy, and other assorted fauna that make appearances. Read the book, I think you will enjoy it. Prudes and over-religious persons might want to avoid it, but then those with a bit of an open mind might find a lot here to laugh at as well. With a background tailored to create a bit of wackiness (especially being raised in poverty in backwoods Texas by a somewhat sadistic but seemingly loving father who was a hunter and taxidermist with a strange compulsion to mess with his daughters' heads) and possibly one of the reasons for some of her mental issues, Lawson delivers in blogs and now a book her funny take on the world. Still, there is a lot of love to be found in what can only be a bit of comic exaggeration, but the result is funny and often heartwarming too. She hates squids but loves cats (sorry to hear about her recent loss of an oft-mentioned pet, Posey); has anxiety disorder but carries on nonetheless; recounts many rather humorous conversations, especially with her husband Victor (who, if the dialogue is even close to accurate, makes me think he has a bit of a sense of humor too). I have just started to go back and catch up on her blog entries, which have been fun and irreverent. No doubt I will be finding mych that will make me smile, even if I am a late-comer to her comic craziness. She seems like a person I would love to sit on a porch with, enjoying a wine slushee, and listening to her weave stories that would likely have me rolling off onto the scorpion-infested lawn.

PS--Sadly, Lawson's cat Posey passed on this week, which is sad. No doubt though, this cat had a weirder life with his masters than most cats experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment