Monday, July 16, 2012

THE PRISONER OF HEAVEN

The best part about The Prisoner of Heaven is the certainty that there will be another forthcoming volume to continue the story of Daniel and Fermin, and the Cemetery of Forgotten Books, and the wonderful story first deleved into in the delicious Shadow of the Wind. Oh, how I wish I could get an invite to this secret library, this cache of wonderous tomes. But alas, I will have to live vicariously through the words of Carlos Luis Zafon, who is one of my favorite writers. I am delighted that more people are now reading the books of this Spanish author. We learn a lot in this book about the stalwart Fermin, who is on the cusp of ending his bachelorhood to the beautiful Bernarda, and how he came to be involved with the Semperes. Although there may be a tad less mystery here than in Shadow, it is a great bridge toward what I know will be a knockout fourth book. Pray the literary Gods do nothing to derail Zafon. The only mysterious literary disappearance I seek is the one on his pages. I was less pleased with the last offering, The Angel's Game, but I really enjoyed this book, and I think his followers will as well. He also covers many of the horrors Spain endured in the 1930s & 1940s.

No comments:

Post a Comment