Thursday, April 28, 2016

THE LOVITTS

One of my parents' longest-lasting friendship was with a Hawaii couple, Ethel and Louis "Dudley" Lovitt. He had been a Navy lifer, and from what I was told, a cook on the USS OKLAHOMA, when it was sunk in Pearl Harbor, 7 December 1941. He retired as a Chief Commissaryman after thirty-five years of service. I know we visited them often, and in the tiny corners of my now-aged mind, I seem to recall them having a giant mango tree and a swimming pool that they didn't use. But that could be a false memory. In 1988 my parents went back to Hawaii for a visit, and to check on the property there. That March the Lovitt's celebrated their 52nd anniversary. The restaurant was the Pearl City Tavern. Just look at that wonderful kimono.

No comments:

Post a Comment