Sunday, April 17, 2016

TROOP 24 (TRENTON, NJ)

I do not think BSA Troop 24 exists in Trenton any more, although it may have moved to a nearby location and continue a history, but I couldn't find it. Scouting has been an important and almost ever-present part of my life and that of my family. At least four generations have participated, and I wouldn't be surprised if a fifth is now engaged (through my sisters' kids). We have three generations of Eagles (and working on a fourth, hopefully). My grand father was Scout master of this troop. Here he is in 1948, decked out for some outing. Snow still on the ground.


Granddad is standing in the rear, leaning on the table, at some advancement ceremony, also in 1948. These boys are older, and the one has a nice sash of merit badges.


This ceremony is from a year earlier. The guy on the left is identified as that year's Scoutmaster, Hugh Evans. I have no idea who the other two gentlemen are.


Mothers are always presented a small pin when their sons make a new rank. What I find interesting is that my grandfather, wearing a sash (which is odd for a SM) is pining my grandmother. Apparently for a while men could earn their badges too. New over is my father pinning his mother. This may have been an Eagle celebration, or maybe not.


Some secret initiation rite with blindfolded boys, ready for slaughter. . .no, probably being inducted into the troop I imagine. We never did this. The boy who appears to be lighting the candle is my father. Probably 1947, maybe 1948.


Another initiation, it seems. Must have been a big thing with this troop. Probably 1948. My grandfather presides, my father is behind the candles to the right.


Usually the boys are not well identified, but in this picture, also likely 1948. from the left: A. B. "Skip" Burroughs, Russell Phipps, William Epley, Harry "Hank" Walsh, John Armitage Tidd (my uncle), Reggy Root, James Francis Tidd (my dad), and Douglas Haw.


None of these boys, unfortunately, are identified.


Whether they were showing off for their parents, or this was an exercise, herewith a pic of what it was like for most scouts of this era at a campsite, with a two-man pup tent, likely an Army castoff.


Skits were an important part of old-time ceremonies. Now you only see them usually at campfires. The boy with the hat is identified as Hank Walsh. My granddad is directing.


One scout, identified only as Leo.


A couple of my Dad.



Mu uncle John, with neckerchief.


Looks like an Adirnondack hut, perhaps, identified as being at Camp Schlagel, not sure where but around 1947.


The next few shots are of the audience at the award ceremonies. I'm not even gonna try and identify people, even if I am sure of a couple. Maybe people will see this (probably not), and say, "Why, that's my . . . .". I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment