Friday, August 22, 2014

MIDSHIPMAN

The local newspapers liked to feature area kids who attended the service academies. At least twice Dad got his mug in the pages. I found these tucked away, now faded and browned, one from the Trenton Evening Times and the other unknown. Ironically both feature him using communication devices. Both were taken while Dad was a midshipman at the Naval Academy.

Published in 18 July 1957 this picture shows dad using the most up-to-day cell phone of his time, the walkie talkie. Although cropped out, he was aboard what looks like a launch or landing craft. Not sure why the caps they wore had a black trim (unless perhaps it singled them out as midshipmen from regular enlisted swabbies).


I couldn't determine the date for this next picture, so I will speculate a bit. I know Dad went on a summer cruise aboard the battleship Iowa (I think), probably before his senior year. He is wearing the hard-shell helmet that I associate in my mind with a gunnery spotter. Not sure if it was taken aboard a ship, in fact, or if it was done during a practice session.

No comments:

Post a Comment