Friday, August 15, 2014

UKRAINIAN AMERICAN SCOUTS

My mother Lydia was an enthusiastic supported of both the Girl and Boy Scouts, often volunteering to help at summer camps for both organizations. She was a good hiker and camper. Even my Dad said she was great on the trail, and they even hiked much of the Appalachian Trail, until mom got sick. Dad finished the quest after she passed. I knew she was active in the Ukrainian Scouts (which were unified). Apparently, which I didn't know earlier, my mother also continued to be active in the Scouts after moving to Baltimore, Maryland. Here is a 1950 picture of her at age eighteen, standing to the far left with a group of fellow scouts, and several women in traditional dress (was there a festival?). No doubt many of these people were Displaced Persons who escaped the ravages of World War II to find new homes in America. [I encourage anyone who sees this and knows any of the individuals to identify them, and I will include their names.]

No comments:

Post a Comment