Thursday, August 14, 2014

JAMES F. TIDD, USN

My Dad was interested in the navy at least by high school, where he was a reservist, apparently a forerunner of our modern Navy JROTC. After graduating he enlisted and trained Aviation Ordnance (AO) in Jacksonville. Apparently, while stationed there he heard about the Navy prep school and applied in hopes of earning his way into the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. He succeeded and entered the school in 1955, graduating in 1959. Herewith a few pictures of Dad as he worked his way up the ranks, having served on both surface and undersurface ships. He left active service around 1970, but remained in the Reserves until he earned his Captain's rank. While in the Reserves he served on a destroyer (McCard), commanding an amphibious assault unit (I think medical), and on the staff at McDill for the Middle East. Quite an accomplished career. If he could, he would still be in the Navy, I can assure you that.

Here he is in high school, 1953.


Midshipman 4/c, USNA, Fall of 1955.


I think, in your senior year you get to invite your best gal to the Ring dance, where you present a miniature replica of your own class ring to her. I could have that wrong, but I know my mom had one, and I think this picture was taken on that day.


Dad graduated with the class of 1959. There should be some pictures of him with his parents, but I haven't found them yet. But here he is in his official senior class picture, Midshipman 1/c.


Dad made Lt. Commander sometimes in the 1970s, possibly 1974 or 1975. This is his official picture from 1977.


And lastly, we have to have a picture of him as Captain. This picture was taken in Tampa in 1985.

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I have a masonic in with his name on it from 1979. Look me up on FaceBook.
    Jason Henness

    ReplyDelete